If You Have Just Had A Diagnosis
The first four things you should do are:-
- Contact the Alzheimer’s Society (contact details below) to see what local help and support is available
- Contact Age UK who will talk you through what benefits you are entitled to and help you fill out the forms.
- Complete a Power of Attorney, particularly if you are a house–owner.
- Contact the Carer’s Centre to see what Carer support and respite is available.
Local Services:Suite A Verona House Filwood Road Fishponds, Bristol BS16 3RY
Tel: 0117 961 0693
- Click here to go to The Alzheimer’s Society’s website
- Click here to go to The Alzheimer’s Society’s Facebook page
- Click here to go to The Alzheimer’s Society’s Twitter page
The Alzheimer’s Society provides a range of support services for people with dementia, their families and their carers:
- Carers Support Groups (in various locations)
- Dementia Support Services
- Peer Support Group for people with dementia living independently
- Singing for the Brain ©
- Memory Cafes
- Activity Groups
- Tea Dance
Age UKCanningford House 38 Victoria St Bristol BS1 6BY
Tel: 0117 922 5353
Power of Attorney
There are two Lasting Power of Attorneys:-
- Property and Financial Affairs
- Health and Welfare
You can complete these by either:-
- Doing it yourself by downloading the forms from the Office of the Public Guardian
- by contacting a solicitor
Either way, Power of Attorney needs to be registered whilst the person with Dementia has “capacity” to make rational decisions. It is really important that both the Carer and the person with Dementia discuss the situation with family members.
The Carer’s Centre (If you Care, we Care)
The Carers Support Centre provides services for carers of all ages, including:
- Carers emergency card
- Confidential telephone support line
- One-to-one support and carers’ groups
- Activities for carers to take some time out
- Short breaks service and carers holidays
- Training for carers and professionals
- Counselling service
- Support for young carers
e mail: firstname.lastname@example.org/uk
Tel: 0117 939 2562
How can I live well with Dementia?
Because a person is diagnosed with Dementia, it does not mean life is finished or not worth living. People with Dementia and their carers can often have a lot more living to do and still enjoy, what is usually understood as, “normal” activities. Organisations listed below offer help and support to do this:
Bristol City Council
Bristol City Council is running a project to include people with Dementia in all community activities.Head of Adult Social Care
Bristol BS1 5TR
0117 922 2000
Integrated Carers Team
“Bristol City Council and the NHS have come together as partners to continue and improve their support for carers. Now they’ve pooled the money available, and set up the Integrated Carers Team to respond to your needs”. (Bristol City Council Pamphlet)
For information on how the team can help
Tel: 0117 352 1668
Also supported by the Carers Support Centre
Tel: 0117 965 2200
Linkage (Involve, inspire, enjoy)
Linkage offers a wide spectrum of activities to people 55+ across Bristol, including arts and crafts, tai chi and Zumba Gold, new age kurling and chairobics, dance, ping pong and singing. Some activities are badged ‘dementia friendly’ as the tutor, volunteer or staff member has attended a Dementia awareness session run by the Alzheimer’s Society.
We also offer befriending in the form of a weekly social visit from a volunteer. We may be able to provide this for people with mild dementia, depending on the circumstances.
For more information on all our activities
e mail: email@example.com
Tel: 0117 353 3042
This is a small, informal group of people who meet to share memories, with the help of music/film/artefacts. Members of the group don’t get out much, and may have some Dementia or other health condition affecting their mental capacity.
The church also runs a group for Carers.
For more information, please contact:-
Tel: 0117 942 6095
E mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sporting Memories Network
There six Sporting Memories reminiscence groups up and running around the City and they are looking for people to attend. The project and the Groups are funded by Bristol City Council and South Glos Council and are free to participants.
The Tyndale Circle Day Centre (For people with Memory Loss)Imperial Rd. Entrance
Tyndale Baptist Church
Tel: 0117 973 7747 (Thursdays)
The Centre provides help for those suffering from Dementia and associated conditions, by providing a Day Care Centre every Thursday from 09.30. – 15.00. for up to twelve members. For more information please contact:-
Mrs. Margaret Spiller
16, Barrowmead Drive,
Tel: 0117 949 7650
E mail: email@example.com
Mrs. Maureen Sutton
92 Brentry Lane
Tel; 0117 985 1452
Wellaware & The Care Forum
Your guide to health, wellbeing and community services in Bristol, South Gloucestershire, Bath & North East Somerset, North Somerset and Somerset.
For more information on services offered, please ring free on 0808 808 5252.
Well Aware is a free telephone service operating on :-
- Monday to Wednesday from 9am to 5pm,
- Thursday and Friday from 9am to 7pm
- Saturday morning from 10am to 1pm.
A training experience in Dementia Care, Activity & Reminiscence
This offers Specialist Training in:
- Dementia Care
- Planning Activities
- Reminiscence Therapy
- Training Courses for all levels of ability.
- Professional and educational yet fun, practical and thought provoking.
Tel: 01823 323752 or 433720
e mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Helpful aids for people Living with Dementia
Bristol Brunel Lions Club
Lions provide a “Message in a Bottle” absolutely free.
The person with Dementia (or their carer) places their relevant personal and medical details in a specially designed and marked bottle. The bottle is then placed in the fridge where the emergency services expect to find it in the event of an emergency. More details on website.
Bristol Brunel Lions Club
23 Eastover Close
West of England Care & Repair (WECR)
WECR are a local not- for-profit organisation that has been maintaining homes and providing advice for over 27 years.
|5 Hide Market
|21 Somerset Square
Tel: 0300 323 0700
e mail: email@example.com